So Pork Belly’s mumbling and muttering about feeling snackish and, because we try to eat healthily, there’s not a single sweet treat in the house.
What’s a girl to do (using the word girl loosely)? Why, draw on an old family favourite that delivers within minutes – coconut cookies. It’s so old the measurements are imperial.
Simple, and done in a flash. They cool very quickly so from first mix to mouthful is no more than 30 minutes.
- 4 oz butter or margarine
- 6 oz sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 oz desiccated or tender coconut
- 6 oz self-raising flour.
- Give the butter a quick smoosh to make sure it's soft then add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Put in half the coconut and all the flour and stir well. The mix should be soft and a bit sticky.
- Form into small balls and roll in the rest of the coconut.
- Place on a greased baking tray and flatten the top slightly.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 190 deg C Gas mark 5 for ten minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.