Wanna bake bread? Got no yeast?
Then soda bread is the answer.
It’s quick and easy. We make ours vegan by using dairy-free margarine, and a non-dairy milk mixed with lemon or lime juice to replace the more traditional buttermilk.
You can flavour the basic loaf by adding any ingredients you fancy – dried fruits, nuts, or even stir in a bit of chutney.
- 250 grams wholemeal flour
- 250 grams plain flour
- 150 grams rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon sugar brown or white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 25 grams margarine vegan, block Stork – or butter (for non vegans)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or treacle
- 450 ml non dairy milk we use oatmilk
- 50 ml lemon juice added to the milk
- Heat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C (180°C fan oven)
- Mix the wholemeal, plain flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the margarine and rub it in with your fingertips. Stir in oats and add the agave syrup and non dairy milk lemon juice mix.
- Work it together with your hands until it all comes together. It will be very wet.
- Flour your hands and worktop, then transfer dough to the worktop and shape into a round.
- Place this onto a baking sheet and cut a cross on top of loaf, sprinkle with a little flour then bake for about 30-40 mins until golden and base feels hollow when tapped.
- Remove from tin and put on a wire rack to cool.