Most people use rhubarb for pies, crumbles, cakes, jams, jellies and even wine and vodka.
But Pork Belly used it to flavour this terrific ice-cream, with a cheesecake-and-crumble twist.
It’s super creamy, gluten-free, totally vegan iced dessert that will wow your dinner guests at any time of the year.
Rhubarb and ginger vegan ice-cream
- 455 g rhubarb cut into chunks
- 4 stem ginger finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons stem ginger syrup
- 255 g Tesco Free From Original Style Spread soft Cheese
- 400 g Alpro Greek style Plain Yoghurt
- 80 ml oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the crumble:
- 75 g gluten free flour
- 30 g dairyfree spread
- 30 g caster sugar
- Turn your oven to 180?C/160?C fan/gas 4
- To make the crumble combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and using your fingers rub the butter into the flour and sugar, so that the mixture comes together to form large breadcrumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes
- At the same time, place the cut up rhubarb into a baking dish and mix in the stem ginger and syrup.
- Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. The rhubarb should be soft but still firm.
- Allow to cool and then chill in the fridge.
- In a bowl mix together the soft cheese, yoghurt, oil, vanilla and salt and stir until smooth.
- Pour into your ice-cream maker and churn until the mixture starts to thicken. At this point pour in the chilled rhubarb and ginger.
- Spoon the mixture into the plastic freezer box and stir in the crumble pieces. Put the lid on and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours, or until the ice cream is firm enough to serve.